22 April 2011

Sedated By A Brick’s Top Mayfest Picks

Gareth Mayer is one third of Bristol-based performance company Sedated By A Brick who recently presented their first full length work, If Destroyed Still True, at The Brewery theatre. He also works with Singaporean artist Tara Tan and is in the process of restaging their work, Imagined Future Benefit, in Singapore.

Which 3 shows are you most looking forward to at this year’s Mayfest?

Firstly I would definitely recommend going to see Sleepdogs' Astronaut. I am yet to see the full length version (which I believe is still very brief!) but this fragile tale, told through the medium of Dictaphone, was touching and mesmerising when I saw it as a work-in-progress at the Arnolfini. You also get to see Jo Bannon's Foley as part of a double bill of performances, which I have heard good things about.

Sam Halmarack and the Miserablites will be a joy to behold and experience. Everything I've seen this man do is nothing short of sublime.

My third choice is more tricky but I have opted for Gavin Glover and Faulty Optic's piece, Flogging a Dead Horse. I'm not normally a puppetry fan but the last show I saw by Faulty Optic was possibly one of the most Beckettian things I had seen outside of Beckett, which can only be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment